If it’s about finding the perfect flattering hairstyle or the perfect way to sculpture your brows or the perfect way to apply makeup to accentuate your best features while downplaying others, being aware of your face shape is very important.
So, if you have a slightly wider forehead as compared to your chin- or just a small and narrow chin then you have a long face. Additionally, the length of an oval or a long face shape is usually double that the width.
At times it becomes quite vital to do a few enhancements and improvement on our features and accentuate the best – this is where makeup comes in. The beauty world has made it quite clear that if you want it just fake it till you make it- thicker brows, bold them; bigger eyes, create them; contoured face, contour it!
Similar to a long (thin or not) face, its all about faking it till you make it, play up your best features and downplay the rest! O’ holy makeup, right? Having it is not that bad, actually, it gives you the opportunity to play around with tons of hairstyles and makeup looks.
But, sometimes some of the looks just aren’t the best for your face shape and instead of accentuating best your features they end up making it look weirdly long. This article contains make-up tips and tricks to make sure you achieve the best look and accentuate your best features.
How to contour long faces: step by step guide and tips
When contouring a long face shape, the ultimate goal is to decrease the length, widen and soften the features by balancing the volumes.
Concentrating on the hairline, cheekbones, and jawline is basic when it comes to reducing the length of a long face. Focus on contouring the hollow places on the cheekbones to increase the width and draw attention to the center of the face and shade the jaw bone to make the jawless prominent.
- Add volume to the cheekbones by applying a highlighter on the upper part of your cheekbones and blend it towards the temple: this draws attention to the center of your face. Additionally, using some natural but pigmented colors at the apples of your cheeks will create the illusion of a wider face.
- Highlight the jawline starting from the base of the ear to the back of the chin. Use back and forth motions to blend the highlighter in both directions.
- Highlight above and on the brow bone then blend in the direction of your temple.
- Apply highlighter on the entire eyelid and the inner corners of your eyes as well as the bridge of the nose and slightly above the upper lip to enhance and outline the lips.
- Apply some shade at the edges of your face or at your hairline, blending it horizontally inwards in the direction of your nose. For a more natural look, avoid going past the outer corner of the eye.
- To decrease the length of the forehead, begin shading above the temples, blending along the hairline and moving upwards to the top of your forehead.
- Applying shade at the central part of your chin and blending it towards your neck narrows the chin.
- On the eyelids from the outer towards the inner corner, apply some shade to form an arch on the crease. Additionally, apply some shade on the sides of the nose blending downwards along the nose.
- upper cheekbones.
- on the brow bone.
- at the central part of the lips and slightly above the upper lip.
Flatter your eyes
Draw attention upwards by playing up your eyes by applying some colorful shadows and eyeliners and adding some bold lashes as well as use lengthening mascara to draw attention away from your long face.
Consider a cat-eye look especially since the winged tips of this look move outwards widening the face.
Don’t forget the brows
Extending the brows slightly outwards creates the illusion of a wider face. But, it’s important to use short strokes in order to mimic natural brow hairs and to avoid a ‘drawn in’ look.
As gorgeous as “brows on fleek” or step-by-step makeup tutorial videos are, they don’t apply to everyone. What’s important to remember is what may work for a heart or round or triangle or diamond face shape may not necessarily work for long shape and vice versa. The trick for this shape is to reduce the length and create the illusion of a wide face.